KSW 53: Reborn Play-by-Play

This article is the play-by-play to accompany the live coverage of KSW 53: Reborn. The live coverage article can be found here.

Quick Results – Click a fight to skip to its part:


Bout 1: Sebastian Przybysz def. Jakub Wiklacz via TKO, Punches (RD 3)

Bout 2: Michal Pietrzak def. Kamil Szymuszowski via KO, Right Hook (RD 1)

Main Card (12:00PM EDT / 7:00PM CEST) (KSWMMA.com)

Bout 3: Artur Sowinski def. Gracjan Szadzinski via TKO, Strikes (RD 1)

Bout 4: Roman Szymanski def. Filip Pejic via TKO, Strikes (RD 3)

Bout 5: Andrzej Grzebyk def. Tomasz Jakubiec via TKO, Strikes (RD 2)

Bout 6: Tomasz Drwal def. Lukasz Bienkowski via TKO, Strikes (RD 2)

Bout 7: Borys Mankowski def. Marcin Wrzosek via Decision, Majority

Bout 8: Mateusz Gamrot def. Norman Parke via Doctor’s Stoppage (RD 3)


Bout 1: Sebastian Przybysz (6-2) vs. Jakub Wiklacz (10-2-1) (Bantamweight)

Both fighters threw jabs to start. They both they a fast pace of punches early, but neither fighter was connecting a ton. Przybysz landed a good combination of punches in the second minute. Przybysz continued to connect with punches. Wiklacz shot for a takedown halfway through the round. Przybysz was able to sprawl and take top position in half guard. They stood back up with two minutes to go in the round. Przybysz kept walking forward and scoring punches to Wiklacz. A takedown was blocked by Przybysz in the final minute.

Przybysz started the second round by connecting with more good punches. Wiklacz failed again to get a takedown. They clinched against the cage halfway through the round. Wiklacz pulled guard, reversing the position moments later and taking top position. Wiklacz tried for a guillotine choke from the position, although Przybysz slipped out eventually. Wiklacz moved around quite a bit while holding the head of Przybysz. He settled in full guard on top. Przybysz was able to get a sweep and take his own full guard in the final seconds of the round.

Przybysz avoided a takedown attempt early in the first minute of the final round. A punch to the body dropped Wiklacz in the second minute of the round. Przybysz followed up with punches until the referee stepped in.

My Scorecard:

Fighter Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Total
Przybysz 10 9
Wiklacz 9 10

Bout 2: Kamil Szymuszowski (17-6) vs. Michal Pietrzak (8-4) (Catchweight 176 lbs)

In the first minute of the battle, a right hook from Pietrzak dropped Szymuszowski and ended the fight.

My Scorecard:

Fighter Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Total

Bout 3: Artur Sowinski (20-11) vs. Gracjan Szadzinski (8-3) (Lightweight)

The first minute of the fight was slow as both fighters were figuring each other out. A left jab hurt Szadzinski early. In a clinch, Sowinski landed many knees to the head that hurt Szadzinski, even knocking out his mouthguard. After being dropped with a left hook, Szadzinski was dropped. Sowinski continued with numerous punches on the ground until the referee stepped in.

My Scorecard:

Fighter Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Total

Bout 4: Roman Szymanski (12-5) vs. Filip Pejic (14-3-2) (Lightweight)

Szymanski charged forward trying for a takedown in the second minute after landing a punch. He got a takedown upon second attempt moments after. They got back up within the same minute, with Szymanski on the back of Pejic. Afterwards, a point was taken away from Pejic due to him grabbing the fence. Szymanski landed a two-punch combination in the fourth minute. Pejic landed a punch in the final minute that hurt Szymanski, making him back up to the cage. Szymanski eventually recovered, landing a punch and getting a takedown for a moment. The round had a hectic ending.

Szymanski tried for a takedown early in the second round. While trying for it, Pejic landed lots of punches and a knee to the head as well. Szymanski caught a leg in the fourth minute. They went back to their feet after Pejic was able to escape what Szymanski was trying for. Pejic connected with a head kick just before the round ended

Szymanski got a takedown to start the final round. On the ground, Szymanski had half guard on top. He got on the back of Pejic after he flipped around. Szymanski landed some punches from above. Pejic escaped the position halfway through the round, taking top position in a full guard. Both fighters landed punches from the position. Szymanski was able to get out of the position and get half guard on top with just over a minute left in the fight. Going into side control, Szymanski threw a series of punches until the referee ended the bout.

My Scorecard:

Fighter Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Total
Szymanski 9 9
Pejic 9 10

Bout 5: Tomasz Jakubiec (10-2) vs. Andrzej Grzebyk (16-3) (Welterweight)

Both fighters were active with punches and kicks early. Jakubiec had Grzebyk backing up early. A right hand hurt Jakubiec halfway through the round, dropping him. Grzebyk got half guard on top on the ground. After a scramble, Jakubiec ended up in top position on the ground. Jakubiec escaped a barely applied triangle choke from the position. They got back to their feet, where Grzebyk charged forward with punches that dropped Jakubiec again. They got up with a minute left in the fight. Grzebyk got a takedown from a clinch, landing elbows to the head until the round ended.

Jakubiec was dropped by a punch early in the second round. Grzebyk went to the ground, but the referee was quick to step in and end it.

My Scorecard:

Fighter Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Total
Jakubiec 8
Grzebyk 10

Bout 6: Tomasz Drwal (21-5-1) vs. Lukasz Bienkowski (5-3) (Middleweight)

Bienkowski threw leg kicks early on. It took a little time before Drwal started throwing strikes. It felt like Bienkowski was pushing the pace throughout the round, albeit a slow pace. Drwal clinched up in the final minute, getting a takedown from the position. They got to their feet just as the round ended.

Drwal had an aggressive start to the second round, throwing punches before putting Bienkowski against the cage in a clinch. Drwal eventually got a takedown, getting full mount on the ground. Drwal eventually started to throw a fast pace of hammerfist strikes until the referee stopped the fight.

My Scorecard:

Fighter Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Total
Drwal 9
Bienkowski 10

Bout 7: Borys Mankowski (20-8-1) vs. Marcin Wrzosek (14-6) (Lightweight)

Early in the first round the heads clashed a little between the fighters. Wrzosek got a takedown for a moment before they stood back up in a clinch. Mankowski tried for a takedown for a moment, however they got back up in a clinch shortly after. Makowski failed for a takedown halfway through the round, slipping a little for a moment after. Wrzosek put Mankowski against the fence after. Still on the feet, Mankowski was on the back of Wrzosek for a moment. The round ended on the feet.

A pause came early in the second round was Mankowski was hit in the ground. They resumed quite quickly. Mankowski got a takedown from a clinch halfway through the round. He had half guard on top. A cut on the top of Mankowski’s head opened at some point in the round. Wrzosek flipped over, letting Mankowski take his back. They got up with 30 seconds to go in the fight.

Wrzosek got a takedown early in the final round. Mankowski tried for a takedown halfway through the round, although Wrzosek was able to resist it. Mankowski eventually took Wrzosek down, although he got back to his feet seconds after. They got back to their feet with a minute to go. Wrzosek had a takedown stopped, with Mankowski pulling guard after. They fighters got to their feet as the round ran out of time. Going to the judges, a unanimous decision went to Mankowski.

My Scorecard:

Fighter Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Total
Mankowski 10 10 10 30
Wrzosek 9 9 9 27

Bout 8: Mateusz Gamrot (15-0) vs. Norman Parke (28-6-1) (Lightweight)

Parke offered a glove tap, but Gamrot did not respond. Both fighters respected each other’s power early, only poking jabs out. Gamrot was landing more shots later in the round, bloodying the nose of Parke. Gamrot shot for a single leg takedown in the fourth minute, however, Parke was able to stop it. Both fighters let some combinations of punches go near the end of the round.

While Parke walked Gamrot down at the start of the second round, it was Gamrot who was landing jabs and uppercuts to the head. Gamrot connected with three-straight uppercuts to the head of Parke in the fourth minute. A pause came after Parke motioned that he was poked in the eye. They resumed shortly after even though there was clear damage on the right eye of Parke. Gamrot continued to out-strike Parke until the round ended.

The damage on Parke’s face was much worse than Gamrot’s third round. Gamrot was putting on a striking clinic at this point. Gamrot mocked Parke for flailing his arms in the second minute. A pause came with two minutes to go in the fight so that a doctor could check on Parke. The fight was called off after the damage on Parke’s face was decided to be too much.

My Scorecard:

Fighter Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Total
Gamrot 10 10
Parke 9 9

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s