UFC fighter Nik Lentz has announced his retirement from MMA on Sunday following a loss to Movsar Evloev at UFC 257. Lentz put a statement out online addressing his decision.
Lentz noted that a big part of his decision to retire comes from an eye injury last year that caused him to lose some of his vision.
“The injury I suffered to my eyes last year was a career ender. In total I lost about 40% of my vision, but I wanted to see what one more hard fought battle was like with the new eyes,” said Lentz via Instagram. “It was clear to me last night that it’s impossible for me to compete at this level anymore.”
Lentz lost a split decision on Saturday, losing to undefeated prospect Evloev. The fight saw Evloev hurt Lentz throughout with strikes, causing a visible amount of damage on his face by the end.
The loss for Lentz was his third-in-a-row. He had never previously fallen into a three-fight skid in his pro career.
Lentz retires following over a decade at the UFC level of competition. Lentz earned 14 wins under the promotion through 26 fights.
“Who knows what comes next for The Carny…. but I can tell you what it’s not,” said Lentz, finishing his statement.