Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones has recently split from long-time management team First Round Management. News of the change was announced through social media on Monday.
Statements from the management team and Jones alike made it clear they are parting ways on good terms.
“After an 11 year journey as @JonnyBones [Jones’] management team, First Round Management and Bones [Jones] have amicably decided to part ways,” said First Round Management from their official Twitter account. “We are proud of him and the work we’ve done. We wish him the best going forward.”
Jones expressed a similar sentiment, posting “It’s been an absolutely amazing journey” on Instagram.
The move comes amid Jones’ recent troubles with finding a fight in the UFC.
Jones has recently been outspoken over his negotiation troubles with the promotion. He has recently pushed for a super fight bout against UFC Heavyweight Champion Francis Ngannou, although issues in the asking price to compete have kept the fight from being made.
Much of the negotiation troubles have played out in the public, with Jones and UFC President Dana White both speaking out about their dealings.
Jones recently refuted a claim from White that he asked for $30 million U.S. dollars for a fight.
“Just wondering where you heard that number? Is someone speaking with you on my behalf or…” said Jones via Twitter earlier this month.
Jones has previously expressed wanting a payday higher than $8 million to $10 million, explaining that more needs to be offered for a fight against Ngannou.
Jones has anticipated a move to the heavyweight division for years now. The 33-year-old vacated his 205-pound belt last year with the intention of pursuing fights at the heavier weight class.