Aaron Phillips Out of October 23rd UFC Bout Against Jonathan Martinez

UFC’s October 23rd card has taken a hit, as bantamweight Aaron Phillips has withdrawn from his fight against Jonathan Martinez. The fight was scheduled to take place on the prelims of a card from the UFC APEX in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.

Phillips announced his departure on Friday, citing illness.

“[It] started off with headaches and low energy, feeling flat in training,” said Phillips via Instagram. “Kept going to extreme fatigue, groggy, sleeping in the afternoon.”

Phillips said he isn’t sure what the illness is from currently, but he is in the process of being assessed by medical professionals.

Phillips was aiming to earn his first UFC win this month. He lost in his return to the promotion last year, getting submitted by Jack Shore. He was originally set to face Kris Moutinho in October but was given Martinez as a replacement opponent recently.

It isn’t known yet whether Martinez will get a new opponent for the date. He is coming off a finish loss against Davey Grant from March.

Middleweights Paulo Costa and Marvin Vettori are currently scheduled to headline UFC’s October 23rd event.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s