UFC heavyweight Stefan Struve has announced his retirement in MMA due to recent medical issues. The end of Struve’s career comes after 29 pro wins and 24 fights in the UFC.
Struve announced his retirement via Twitter on Monday.
“I was contacted by the UFC last week for a fight. However, I’ve decided it’s time to retire from fighting,” said Struve.
During his statement, Struve mentioned damage to the vestibular system and hearing nerves in his right ear have resulted in vertigo, tinnitus and reduced hearing. While he expected the symptoms to improve over time, they worsened when he would compete.
“During the fight, some of the issues came back after getting hit flush on the right ear, it was a punch that should not be an issue normally,” said Struve, reflecting on the injury.
Struve made the decision to retire after a recent diagnosis told him that damage to the vestibular system is “most likely permanent.” He mentioned that the issues do not currently affect “everyday things.”
“At this juncture, I realize that it’s time to hang up the gloves for good and put my health and family first,” declared Struve.
Struve’s announcement was the second time he entered retirement. He announced his first retirement in early 2019 after defeating Marcos Rogerio de Lima, although he said he would “overthink” the decision afterwards.
Struve competed in the UFC for over a decade. Making his UFC debut in 2009, Struve went on to pick up 13 wins in the promotion. Among them was a stoppage victory against Stipe Miocic, handing the then-undefeated fighter his first loss as a pro.
Struve last competed in October, where Tia Tuivasa stopped him late in the first round with punches.